Sunday, September 2, 2012

PART 1: Profile:God...Description:Faithfulness

  Before you buy a book or a movie you always read about it or you hear all about from friends or its all over the media. Most times, when you just go and buy a random book or movie you have a 50% chance of hating the whole thing. And once you realized, "Wow maybe I should of read the huge paragraph on the back cover" or "Gee I guess watching the previews for that X-rated movie would of been better before watching it with my teenage son." We all look into the whole story before we engage in it to prevent ourselves from being disappointed or being taken by surprise. Just like there is so much you can find out about the next best thing in the media. You will hear about the many different characters of God one way or the other. Believer or not, I am sure that you have heard some talk about this Jesus guy. I know that when I hear about God I hear people say "Oh yes! Jesus is just so loving, patient, faithful, comforting, and is just beyond our words!" Or in other cases, people question those characteristics by saying "I don't know why everyone bows down to this God, yeah He sounds perfect but if I am not perfect then how come this Jesus guy gets to be perfect." If your one of these people or the person that glorifies God...do you really know the true meaning of Gods characteristics? When I got the idea of writing this series for the month I got excited. Because I realized the true meaning of my blog and that is to not to just know God but to hear Him and love Him while being rooted in His love for you. I know this series is going to be eye opening and exciting because while you may be really looking into Gods characteristics I am too! I am always one of those people that praise the Lord and I think I just picked that philosophy up from others who praise Him. But I just realized that beyond the words of faithfulness and loving and comforting...I have no clue how that defines God. I am talking beyond the original bible stories of Jonah and the Whale or Daniel in the Lions Den. I'm talking about every single day of His life, and ours, and why He was created with those characteristics and how he shows them to us every single second of our lives. This week we will be talking about the first characteristic which is faithfulness. I'm sure you have already heard about how faithful God is to us and He will never leave us, this IS true but lets look deeper. Lets define the definition of what it means to be faithful. I looked up faithful on freedictionary.com and found these words, "Adhering firmly and devotedly, as to a person, cause, or idea; loyal. Having or full of faith. Worthy of trust or belief; reliable. Consistent with truth or actuality." Now take those words and connect it with your life. Have you every felt like God was being loyal to you? Like He is always consistent no matter what? Like He was reliable even when you weren't? That is the exact works of Gods faithful characters taking the stage in your life. The Lord passed in front of Moses, calling out, "Yahweh! The Lord! The God of compassion and mercy! I am slow to anger and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness." (Exodus 34:6) When I first read this I thought... wow God sounds really confident in Himself there and it almost makes me feel a little downgraded. But then I looked deeper. Gods purpose of this message was not to be arrogant and make enemies. He wrote this with a hidden message of that we should look to Him as inspiration. He has compassion and mercy just like most of us do here but do we have that 24/7...nonstop?? No, I think I can easily say that most of us do not. But most importantly it says how He is filled with faithfulness. We need to look at God and follow that. He is faithful and He will show that once we keep His words in our lives!! Psalm 25:10 it states, " The Lord leads with unfailing love and faithfulness all who keep His covenant and obey His commands." Again this shows that God is faithful but He will only lead those faithfully that keep His words and actually care about Him. God posses this faithful characteristic in hopes of passing it down from generation to generation. But we need to see it and accept it for it to be passed down. So Gods faithfulness is defined by the actual dictionary words...consistent with truth or actuality, reliable,worthy of trust or belief... All of these human generated words describe God and I can only expand it to a certain point. I don't know how Gods faithfulness shines in your life but I bet if you dig deep down, you will find it. I challenge you this week to take a small piece of paper and write down the definition of faithfulness above and copy it down and stick it somewhere you will see it everyday. When you see those words think of one way (a new way everyday) that God is faithful in your life. And before you know it, you will become one step closer to actually knowing what people mean when they say "God is faithful".

Word of the Day: "Your unfailing love, O Lord, is as vast as the heavens; your faithfulness reaches beyond the clouds."
                                 ~Psalm 36:5

No comments:

Post a Comment