Friday, July 26, 2013

True Testimony

    We have talked several times about being a missionary and spreading your faith to the people close to you. That, it's very important to share your testimony but we never expanded upon that. When most people are asked to share their testimony they have no clue how to even plan it out. Most people think that they need to add interesting details to their story so that it makes it sound like they are interesting. We all think that if we added this or that to our lives then people will think we are more worth while. Just because you aren't recovering from drugs or your parents aren't going through a rough divorce doesn't mean that your story isn't one to be heard.

    Before my faith really was in full bloom I had to be prepared to share my testimony. I was on my first missions trip outside of the US and then on top of that I needed to understand that there was a possibility that I would have to share my testimony. When we were going through training the leaders of the organization we were with told there testimony or stories of others walk to Christ. And the first thing I thought was my story is never gonna compare to that! Yeah I am a young Christian girl that lives a normal life and tends to include the Lord and loves to help other people. I felt like other people wouldn't see the importance of my role here on earth if I didn't have an amazing journey to share.

    Looking back on how wrong I truly was I understand the purpose of my testimony. I may not have been an addict  or living in the streets but I have been through several things to make me that one of a kind child of Christ. All I or anyone really needs to tell a testimony is the heart and mind. We all know that Christ doesn't judge us like others do here on earth, which is a huge relief to most of us. But the fact that people judge us sets us back in the spiritual world a bit. Can you imagine if we all just shared our true testimonies even if they weren't the best? Are world would be so much more diverse in the spiritual sense. Some might think that adding a little detail to your story really isn't a big deal, but it is. I'm sure you have all heard that no one person is the same, that's the same with our stories. And every single journey is to be shared no matter what because to God not one of our stories are boring. And even if they truly don't have any ump to them that's because our story is growing. Are testimony will neve be the same because we will always be adding details. 

    Below is a testimony of a recovering drug and alcohol addict that went down the wrong road. If this can be shared on the internet for millions to see. Then ask yourself if you can share your story that might not be as intense to a neighbor this week.

     "I was raised in Portland, Oregon, in a secular, lower-middle income class home. I went to church very few times during my adolescent years. When I turned 16, I began to get involved with drugs and alcohol. At 17, I began a live-in relationship with a woman who was two years older than me. It was a difficult relationship, characterized by drug and alcohol abuse, physical domestic disputes, and crime (primarily theft of various items). During this time period, I came very close to losing my life on a bad LSD trip. I lost touch with reality, jumped through several windows, and assaulted several individuals. I was told later that when the police and medical personnel arrived, an individual was coming after me with a gun. I ended up in the emergency room with serious lacerations all over my body. After dealing with the law and going through the healing process, I continued my risky lifestyle. I remember at one point telling my father that there was no God. Although he did not live what I would consider to be a Christian life, he assured me with tears in his eyes that there was a God. Once while in a park in Portland with my girlfriend, a young couple approached us and began to share the gospel. I told them that they would be far better off if they were to forget this Christian stuff. I offered to share my weed with them. I know now they most likely went off and prayed for us. At some point during my nineteenth year, I remember beginning to be consumed with thoughts of eternity and where I might spend it. Even though I didn't believe in God, nonetheless, I was overcome with this concern. These thoughts went on for a few weeks. I recall coming across Bible tracts on various occasions. I would read them, and then go on my way. My grandmother was a Christian, and she was praying for me. I also had a Christian co-worker that would share her faith with me at times. One day I was at home, sick with the flu. I began to ponder becoming a Christian. I really couldn't see myself as a Christian, as I had envisioned myself at 75 sitting in a rocking chair, still smoking my pot. For some reason as the day went on, I found myself thinking more and more seriously about Christianity. I came across one of those Bible tracts with the four spiritual laws. I suddenly found myself praying to the God I had claimed earlier didn't exist. I felt this supernatural power come over me that day, and I knew I would never be the same as long as I lived. The best way to describe it was like coming out of a trance. I suddenly had an awareness of God, Satan, and the reality of the Bible.
It is now more than 30 years later. I have been happily married to the same woman for all these years. We have raised three sons. God has blessed us in wonderful ways. I am involved in jail ministry, and am looking forward to eternity. Although there have been a few minor hurdles along the road of life, I wouldn't trade back to the old life for anything. Praise God for changing the life of someone who didn't believe he existed."

Word of the Day: "Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved."
               ~Psalm 55:22




*Testimony found at: http://christianity.about.com/u/sty/testimonies/beforeafterstories/*

No comments:

Post a Comment