Sunday, November 10, 2013

Centered

    The other week I received one of those typical forwarded emails about God's glory. It had a bunch of pictures on it with little unique facts about the bible which made me really think. I have personally never thought of the simple things like what the longest or shortest book in the bible is. Of course that might not carry to much importance to it but what about which verse is in the center of the bible. You might see where this is going or already know the center verse of the bible. I am sure you know it is in the book of Psalms because well it is the longest book! Now you must be wondering what importance this lesson is really leading to because there seems to be none. Well let's read Psalms 118:8...

                             "It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in humans."  

    
    If you remember way back to when I first started this Rooted blog wrote a lesson about trusting God before trusting others. Now I don't mean for this to be a recap of that one. We are to look deeper into the irony of this verse. It's main point is to if we want to live the perfect will God has sent for our lives then we need to place him at the center of our will. I feel as if I have talked about this several times but this is one thing that can be talked about more than once. Let's put this into actual practice and take the most important thing to you and imagine if that was all did and thought about 24/7 (this might already be the case!). If you picture that thing at the center of a web that has branches coming off that hold other things in your life. In one bubble might be school, work, friends, family, and sadly....God. We tend to section of things in our lives that should go together and this becomes even more messed up when God isn't centered in it. It is just like taking  a picture but not centering it up, there would be not point to the picture because it wouldn't truly capture what we wanted in the first place.

    The thing that is going to make this not sound repetitive is the telling of an I Am Second story. If you are not familiar with these stories they can shortly be heard on word FM. But they actually have a website that is filled with these testimonies of people that found out that just putting God as one of the bubbles off of their webs wasn't enough. I think we wonder why things don't go our way or see themselves through fully. But I think we look at the wrong aspect to fix in our lives.

    For the longest time in my high school career I put my cheerleading and marching band career at the center of my life. Most people would look at that and say that that is normal because I only go through high school once but I also only get once chance at life with Christ. I would find myself staying up late to get homework done, get home real late, oversleep, feel stressed, and even injury myself from the weight of these things I loved so much. I would always wonder why praying to God never made these things better but that is when I realized I had God as a bubble off of the web. Today I still struggle with this and I feel that I always will but I know now that I can still be just as involved and lead in those things I love by having them off in a bubble to God being centered in my life.

    Those connections between the center and bubbles will be as strong as we make them. But the center root is what sets the stage of our lives and we should want to get that correct right off the bat. This week challenge yourself to look at your past, present, and future. Make the changes in order to have Christ as the strongest center of your life. Record your process through the good and the bad and you will be amazed at your transformation.





Word of the Day:  "Set your minds on the things that are above, not on the things that are on earth."
                                                                            ~Colossians 3:2

No comments:

Post a Comment