Sunday, January 19, 2014

Outlook

    Have you ever noticed that you work really hard for something and end up achieving it when you believe you can? Yes, it is time for me to insert the cheesy speech of just believing in yourself...but seriously. You know those times where you seem to just dislike the world? Almost like the whole world is working against you just to spite you? Well, obviously that is not the case, we just think it is. I often find myself in a bad mood when others ridicule me which is a normal reaction to people coming at you but the thing that gets me is I dwell on that for the rest of the day. This is probably THE worse flaw I carry around with myself because it eats me up and it affects everything I do no matter what. This is also where the stubborn side of me kicks in when I let it affect my actions. Most people say that words are more powerful than actions which is what I often find to be true throughout my daily actions because you will always remember things said because they can continue to run through your mind.  

    We let simple words that are once said, then fade, determine how we act and feel. These thoughts would not cause problems if those words did not eat us up. God knows what eats us up and what occupies our time when we are going through tough times. And half the time we do not pray for a better attitude because we never want to admit we have one. You know those times were others are like "Why do you have an attitude?" and you spit out... "I do not have an attitude because I am not mad!" It is this conversation that makes us look back on fights and laugh. Thinking that you were really petty just because of the way your thoughts over took your body.

    One of the most famous verses for this topic is Philippians 4:8-9:

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me-practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."

    In the above verse God himself calls us to do whatever is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable. And if we find anything that is awesome in that God will be at peace with us. When we make our thoughts in the path of these we find ourselves on the way to peace with God. When we are at peace with God we find ourselves at peace with ourselves. Our lives are way too important for us to occupy them fully with thoughts that break us down. There becomes a certain point where these tough feelings no longer help shape us but ruin us.

    When I dwell on my bad mood or things other people have said. I noticed that this has kept me from doing things I am to truly do with my life. During those times of bad attitude is when we do not realize the damage we do to those around us because we are not at our best. It is such a cop out for us to keep the bad attitude up in our minds. I'm not sure about you but when something upsets me I just do not really talk and I make sure those around me know it. It is just a natural thought and action for us to reject the hope that God and our faith provides when we are in bad terms with this life.

    Can you imagine if you woke up everyday in a bad attitude? On your first day at work. On your first day at school. At church. While providing advice to others. Or what about your wedding day.  If we had horrible attitudes on these occasions we could never enjoy them or give our full efforts. I am sure bad moods have happened on such occasions but I can guarantee not by choice.

    The one famous story that comes to my mind while writing this lesson is Bethany Hamilton. Of those of you that are unaware, Bethany has become an icon of hope when the young surfer got her arm bit off by a shark and is still alive today. By a matter of nature her attitude towards life and Christ was questioning because she could no longer surf in her mind. But watch this short clip to see what attitude she truly carried out for a life change by Christ...






"Do ALL things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world...  ~Philippians 2:14-15


    Bethany got back in the game even though she had a bad attitude about her arm being taken by a shark! She overcame adversity and did not let horrible feelings keep her down. So this week focus on how you know when to drop an attitude and when to keep one. Let us know when enough is enough and when it is helping or breaking us.

Go through this prayer list this week and give them some thought:
~Am I quick to take on bad attitudes?
~Do I let the negativity of this world affect how I feel and act?
~How do my thoughts get bundled up inside my thoughts?
~Am I focusing on horrible feelings so much that it takes away my job on this earth?
~Is God aware of my bad mood troubles?



Verse of the Day: "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him."
                                                                   ~James 1:12




No comments:

Post a Comment