Sunday, June 8, 2014

Those Around

Whenever we think of being an influence on others we think about positive things. I mean is it not a good thing for your ideas and values to be continued through someone else’s life? Being able to convince someone on your side of the story so much that they want it as their own may be the most powerful tool we can get our hands on. People say that we often do not realize the impact that we have on others. This is where the fine line between model behavior and being full of ourselves tends to disappear.

    The one thing we might not even think about is that in order to be a model to others you must first be a confident one to yourself. If do not see ourselves as leaders then what leaders do you think we come off as to those following us? People will still follow us even though we might not be the best example out there and this may be the scariest thing. Not knowing that people closest to you are looking at what you are setting forth as an example while you look back to say “What did they pick up?”

    I explained my weird stage of life in last week’s lesson which sets the stage for this story. I have had several people come to me and tell how much I impact them and others through Christ. A part of me is happy and overwhelmed to hear this but yet I feel a sense of guilt. I don’t get angry with people for telling me this but I feel ashamed because my relationship with Christ and my effort towards it has been anything but perfect. For the longest time I thought that people looked at me and thought that I have it altogether because I write my own Christian blog. I am sure they don’t think I am perfect but it is the matter that people out there read my blog or watch me from the outside. The weird thing is I want a huge amount of followers as I go into the world of management through ministry but I seek that I follow the right path of which others will be led down.

    The things we do in our lives daily define who we want to be. We can pray and pray but the actions we take is going to be by how fast our legs move. Of course Christ allows that to happen but Christ says that He will protect us but He isn't going to stop us from doing something we already know is against His words. This becomes a trap when we can’t realize that there are others following us in the path of life. It is so easy to get lost on a daily task let alone remembering to look behind or beside us to know there are others around us.


“I have always tried my best to let wisdom guide my thoughts and actions. I said to myself, “I am determined to be wise.” But it didn't work. Wisdom is always distant and difficult to find. I searched everywhere, determined to find wisdom and to understand the reason for things. I was determined to prove to myself that wickedness is stupid and that foolishness is madness.”~Ecclesiastes 7:23-25


    Most of our lives we are told that wisdom grows with age and that we truly can’t a life altering impact until we have a few years under our belt. I think that is the problem with most teens stepping out to make a difference and the sad case is for most adults. We often think that we find wisdom in our experiences we have been in or the rough times we can say that we are a survivor. Although these stories are powerful the most impact is going to come from the things learned and adapted through Christ. We can learn so many things from the early times of how Christ led His followers. His example will allow us to be the ultimate example for others. It is a fact that others will look up to us and follow what we do but we will also do the same. This is the time where we have to step back and ask ourselves, is what I am doing a good thing for others to adopt? And are those I am following doing things that I should be adopting?



“Therefore you have no excuse, O man, every one of you who judges. For in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things.”  
~Romans 2:1

No comments:

Post a Comment