Sunday, October 7, 2012

Little Wisdom

This past summer I signed up to help with vacation bible school at my church. As one of the “tribe leaders”, I was excited to do God’s work in my own community. It was also fun to spend time with my family and the younger kids as well as being able to partner up with my mom while helping. So since the theme was Babylon all of the leaders had to dress the part and of course I had to wear the long “skirt” with a Babylonian “smock”. Ok so I’ll admit….my costume was pretty dang awesome, but it was also not the first thing I would put into my wardrobe. But none of that matter because I was working with little kids and plus it was all for God, despite my fashionable “Babylonian wear.” My point of this lesson is kids. Little kids to you may come off as annoying or cute or just “not your thing.” Now some of you may have kids or are in the process of having kids or kids are not even in your future and that’s fine because we all have our own paths in life. But we are all called to be brothers and sisters through Christ Jesus even if the little ones get on your last nerve. While being a tribe leader I found out that those little kids can teach us the best things. At very young age, kids aren’t exposed to the things that teens and adults are exposed to. If you ask a 5 year olds opinion on their view of today’s world they aren’t going to tell you that the economy is going down the drain or that global warming is coming to a head or that the world is “going to end” in 2012 or that they are having trouble in work. Those are some outcomes of an average adult today. Most children still see the bright side of the world today, the side that we all once knew when we were little. But think about that…why did that ever go away? For most adults they lost the rainbows and butterflies by simply growing up. When you grow up you go through several test and seasons of life that change your view on the world. It may distort is or I might expand it. But no matter what our view on the world never stays the same from when we were 5. You can also probably remind your biggest idol. I might of being (and still be0 your parents, sibling, other family member, best friend, or a certain adult. We all looked up to those older than us in some way, and children do that till this day. But have you ever considered looking up to them? Their ideas and thinking is fresh…it’s new…and it’s not yet ruined by sin. Kids are still surrounded and being tempted by sin but it might not be as severe as the ones adults face. We always think that children should look up to us and they should because those older than them show them the ways of life. But keep in mind that kids have a way of thinking that takes away the “scary things” of the world that adults constantly worry over. It is a lot easier for kids to get sold into believing in God because adults make excuses not to follow God. Because adult sin is much more developed than the sin of little kids. I saw the devotion of kids to Christ through the VBS at my church, and it was a breath of fresh air to such young kids love God without hesitation. I would look around and some kids would be jumping up and down yelling during worship time because they love Jesus! How many times do you see adults jumping up and down for the glory of God? Yeah that seems a little farfetched to see any adult like that in public. What we can learn from this is that kids can see the glory of God just like adults can but kids don’t let anything in their way in doing so, unlike most adults. Now I’m not saying that 5 year olds are better believers in Christ because no one is a perfect follower. But I challenge you this week to watch the little ones around you and learn from them. Either if there your own children your students your nieces or nephews…look up to them for once because kids have a lot more wisdom than you think they do. We are all children of Christ and we always will be! Word of the Day: 2 Timothy 3:14-15 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. ~2 Timothy 3:14-15 Question of the week: Am I letting the young me show through without hesitation for Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment