Sunday, February 9, 2014

Reaching for Yourself

    When I was asked what I wanted to be at the age of 7 I probably replied with, a singer. The classic of course. Or a princess for most little girls. For the majority of my childhood I probably wanted to be a star if it was being an actress or a singer I was down. Who didn't want to be famous though!? We have all watched the famous on television and think, “Well I can do that and be just as amazing, and I should be famous!” Of course we all know that fame is not all it is cracked up to be nor is this the point of the lesson.

    Now if you flash-forward to our lives now, what do you think the chances are that we would say we want to be famous or be princes and princesses? We tend to pick more rational things to do for the rest of our lives and our minds simply change. We will always have those dream jobs in the back of our minds that we would love to do but can’t because it’s just not logical. Some might look at this as giving up on ourselves. Which it is! I am not trying to say that your dream of being a reality TV star is what your job should be but it is the idea of settling that we need to focus in on here.

            When we think of our future we don’t think about how we are going to settle in life and have the mindset that we must live with the fact that we will be unhappy in order to have a job that pays. But there is such thing as having an outstanding career and being happy with it PLUS having a good salary. Now, not all of us may be unhappy with our jobs but there is always the alternative that we could do that would top our jobs already.

            Besides being a star I have always wanted to be a vet. I simply loved animals and I wanted to help them grow. I loved the idea of rescuing animals and speaking up for them when they were abused. As I got older and my faith in Jesus Christ strengthened and I noticed my outlook on what my future was to be like, changed drastically. I first wanted to be some type of pastor, either a youth pastor or a pastor of my very own church. This mindset was right before I started my blog and I was full of words to share (this is what started my desire for a blog!). I wanted to share my wisdom that I mustered up in my mind through just listening to what God had to say not only directly to me but through the actions of those around me. It is so amazing to clear your mind and think of yourself as a motivational speaker. Cheesy, I know but it’s the truth and how I first got my wisdom. But shortly after I was led to being a pastor I jumped into the passion for missions. Many of you may know that I went on several trips throughout my high school career and that is what led me to love missions. Through all these changing options for a job I can finally say I have an idea. Yes I will keep it at an idea because that’s all that I have, because Christ could change the vision at any time now.

            Becoming a new college student is unfamiliar ground. I am in a part of my life that is so strange and unbelievable that I couldn't put it into words. It is not necessarily bad; it is the matter of seeing your future unfolding before your eyes. And through the college and major search I have found out so many things about the daily things around me. It just now seems like a known fact to me that most people settle for an average job. Most people in this world play it safe with everything. Well not all people. I am not saying that safe is bad but there is a vast gap between settling and submitting to your calling. I have gotten the strangest combination for a calling of Christ of so many things that it seems crazy that I could ever do all of that. When the idea of what I wanted to do for the rest of my life came to my mind I could not tell other people because it simply sounds ridiculous! I was not ashamed of my vision from Christ whatsoever but it sounded too much like a fairy tale that I was afraid that most people would tell me, “Well that is going to change once you see how much work that takes.” I have even told myself this as my vision is still the same but I am now confident that it’s not just a fairy tale. I know for a fact that this has to be the Lord’s vision for my life because there is simply no way I could think of it myself!

            What if we were all like college students? Not the rebellious behavior or wild side. I am talking about what if we had the eyes of vision just like they do. Of course anyone can have a sense of vision to be more than they are but going out into the real world is the coming to the cliff that takes the plunge into the new territory of your life. We need to renew our minds to become fresh through Christ! Not only evaluate your job but your relationships. Your family, your free time, your relationship with Christ, your thoughts. Everything in our lives need renewed every now and then. When we stir up this dust we can see clearer and know where we should reach for ourselves more. There is always a way to improve our lives it is just the matter of doing it.

            Of course it is easier said than done in reaching for the stars and not settling for less in your life. But who ever said it was going to be easy? The most famous line must be inserted here, “It’s not going to be easy but it is worth it.” Isn't that so true though? The things that are worth it are the things that take the most work! We need the time and chance to reach within our true motives and dip into God’s inclinations as well to find the true map to our lives. This week I challenge you to think about all the things you have ever done in your life where you have settled. And pray about that, of course you can’t undo it but you pray for future prevention.

            Let us no longer settle for the average job or an okay relationship with Christ or a lukewarm love for our families or just dragging ourselves out of bed. We need to really dig deep and ask God what he wants for us. Ask God what he wants to happen in our lives and then determine how to get there. If we do not change our ways and act upon the fairy tale life that God realistically set out for us then how are we living as true children of God? Wouldn't you rather live a life free of regrets for following your gut and faith rather than sitting on the sidelines? Yeah it's easy and comfortable to settle but it is not what Christ wants for us. Comfortable is good but Christ calls us to an active life full of adventure. He wants us experience all the different things in life and he hopes that we learn from them. It is the matter of stepping out of our comfort zones. He sees what holds us back and knows what can push us past that we just need to open up the door so he can come in to unlock more. 

            Take a breath, jump feet first, and hang on for the ride because your life is about to become real…live and exciting life and take the leap!






Wisdom: “Having the eyes of your heart enlightened , that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you , what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,”

                                                              ~Ephesians 1:18

No comments:

Post a Comment